Device not found

Greetings, and thank you for any help you might provide. I am following the Mega 2560 with WINC1500 tutorial, and can’t get past step 7, registering the device. It programs fine, then when I try to add it in the Device tab, not found. Agent is running (I just programmed it), tried refreshing webpage, etc. No joy

Any ideas?
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

Can you connect to the serial output of the Arduino board (using Putty or Teraterm)? The baud rate is 115200. If you could provide the output you get, which should the startup sequence, that would be helpful.

-Nick

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I can and the .txt file is attached.

I have tried a different computer and a different cable. At this moment, I don’t have the WINC1500 attached.

I appreciate any help you might provide helping me get this going.

Cynthia

image001.jpg

(Attachment arduinostartup.txt is missing)

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I can connect and the text returned is below:

Cynthia

image001.jpg

Cynthia,

Ah yes, that may be the problem! The WINC1500 library that we are using will block indefinitely if the WINC1500 is not found on startup. As a result, the rest of initialization/provisioning will not happen successfully.

Also seems like your attachment got scrubbed or something. Could you upload to pastebin or gist?

-Nick

Well, originally the WINC1500 was attached. I’m using the adafruit 2999 ATWINC1500
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2999 . The file I originally sent was just a .txt file of the startup. I’ve reattached the module, and the startup is below. The implication from the adafruit website is that
this module has some LEDS, none of which have ever come on. Power is good, not sure if I’m supposed to see any indications or not. I did follow the guidance to use the MEGA pins of 50, 51, & 52 for SCK, MISO, & MOSI.

In the startup, it mentions pin 5 & 10. Am I supposed to be using them?

Thank you so much,

Cynthia

image001.jpg

Cynthia,

Looking at the WINC1500 demo for the MEGA – the following pins are necessary for the board to function: SCK, MISO, MOSI, CS, RST, IRQ.

I would imagine that your issue is just a matter of getting the board hooked up properly. If you get it hooked up properly, you should see it print out the FW version of the WINC1500 on startup (19.something.something).

Give hooking those pins up a shot and let me know if you need any more help.

-Nick

I am setup the way the tutorial says, using those pins and with CS on 8, RST on 4 and IRQ on 7. I’ve also hooked it all up to the Arduino IDE and am trying to verify the version, but am getting WiFi101 shield: NOT PRESENT, which is a giant
bummer.

I may try it tomorrow with a UNO clone, exactly per the adafruit instructions. If that doesn’t work, maybe I have a bad module.

Thanks for all your help,

Cynthia

image001.jpg

Cynthia,

Might be worth trying the 6 pin ICSP header on the Mega for SPI. Internally, we use (this) particular shield for testing.

A couple basic questions: which pin are you using for power? You have GND hooked up, correct?

-Nick

Holy moly- ringing out the ICSP connector to figure out which pin went to 51, 52, etc. revealed a bad jumper. Thank you for that suggestion.

It is now detected in the Arduino IDE with FW 19.5.2, but still not in Atmosphere (I did reprogram the Mega between IDE’s).

Going back to puTTY, the output results are exactly the same as they were, where the last line says “Applying conf” and it looks like it’s not done, and it doesn’t return the firmware version.

I guess I can keep going with the adafruit/Arduino method to prove functionality, but that isn’t my real goal. If I’ve inadvertently picked the wrong WiFi board, I’m not adverse to buying the 3653, but it’s a bummer because the tutorial
didn’t draw a distinction between the two devices.

In the tutorial, when it says it’ll “scan for available devices within range”. It detects the Mega via the USB cable, right? Perhaps the paragraph before that…

I don’t know what else to try within the Atmosphere environment.

Thank you so much,

Cynthia

image001.jpg

Something else I’m not sure about- in the Wi-Fi Element properties window, there are lines for Reset Pin (now 4), Enable Pin (blank because it’s not on a pin, it’s tied to the Vcc header), Interrupt Pin (now 7), and Chip Select Pin (now
8), all per the wiring instructions. If those aren’t right, especially that enable, might need some info on that.

Thank you,

Cynthia

image001.jpg

There shouldn’t be a distinction. Unfortunately, I don’t have that exact board on hand to test myself with. The Arduino software driver may not use exactly the same underlying implementation that we are using. I will check the schematics between these two adafruit boards and get back to you. Maybe something is different.

Nick

Looking at the schematic for the WINC1500 shield, they tie the SPI_CFG pin high, so you might want to give that a shot with the breakout. Looking at the breakout’s schematic, it will just be left floating unless driven high or low. That’s the only real difference I can find – otherwise they seem pretty much the same. They even use the same exact part.

(Here)'s the schematic for the shield we use and (here)'s the schematic for your breakout.

I tried tying the CFG pin to the 3.3 on the mega, no difference.

To step backwards, can I just take the wifi element out of the picture and see if the Atmosphere IDE can find just the mega?

image001.jpg

Sure you can.

Would you be able to send me some sort of picture of your setup or a list of what each pin on that breakout is connected to and upload your startup to pastebin? It seems like this forum doesn’t like .txt files. Maybe I need to get one of these breakout boards myself.

-Nick

If I start a new project, just the mega board, with absolutely nothing on it, Add Device finds it.

In Arduino, my project gets on the network.

I really, really, really appreciate all your hard work, I really do, but I’m not sure that pursuing this is the way to go. If it doesn’t work with this board, I just need to stop beating my head against this brick wall and figure out a
path forward.

I talked to my boss, and we will order the exact same wifi board you guys are using before we give up completely.

I’m grateful for all your help, I’ve learned a lot over the last couple of days, that’s for sure. If it comes right up, we’ll both know it was that variant of board, and you can put that little nugget of information in your tutorial.

Cynthia

image001.jpg

@cindge1589 - thanks for your work on this. We are working on getting the WINC1500 board you used, in-house so we can help debug for future users.