Rapid IOT Bluetooth Connectivity Issue on Android

Hi

I just unboxed a rapid IOT kit. I am trying to connect it to my android application in the phone using NXP Rapid IOT app. But when I try to add the device, it is not showing up the Rapid IOT’s Bluetooth signal.

I tried using both Atmosphere IOT app and NXP rapid IOT.

I am using Samsungs s8 model.

I also tried resetting both the rapid IOT and my phone. Still, it was not getting connected.

Rapid IOT Toolkit version b167 acb, branch release 1.1.6

Android version 8

Am I missing something here? I followed the documentation but still did not work.
Any leads would be highly helpful.

Regards,

Niranjan

@Niranjan - version 1.1.8 was released late last week. It has improved Android connectivity. Please update to the latest App and try again. Everything else in your setup looks OK. Thanks

I’m having the same connectivity issue with Atmosphere IOT app on Android. I am using version 1.2.2.

I have the Rapid IOT Kit loaded with the out of box demo version de70fb7 (shown on Info…Version).

I can successfully connect using the NXP Rapid IOT app version 1.2.2.

The Atmosphere IOT app says searching for devices, but never finds anything. How can I fix?

@mikeh9 - Which version did you program the device in? I don’t think you can provision devices in both apps. You could try to re-program the device in Atmosphere Studio and then see if it provisions in the Atmosphere App.

Interesting that is the solution.

For the benefit of future users:

Atmosphere studio (https://platform.atmosphereiot.com) must be used to program Rapid IOT kit if you want to access with Atmosphere phone app. Rapid IOT Studio (https://rapid-iot-studio.nxp.com) must to be used to program Rapid IOT kit if you want to access with Rapid IOT app.

Need to add some clarity for new users of which studio to use. The quick start guide that comes with Rapid IOT kit says to use Rapid IOT Studio, but the linked instructions to this Studio directs the user to download and use the Atmosphere app. This is confusing and does not work.

I’m also new to Rapid IoT and have been using the Rapid IoT Studio and NXP mobile app (not Atmosphere’s tools)
However, I am confused about the build cycle. I can add the device to provision and run my code. However, after a trivial change to the code and subsequent re-programming of firmware, it looks like I need to add a NEW device otherwise it doesn’t update with the new functionality I added. I’m limited to a handful of devices so I have to keep deleting my last device and re-adding it and provision it. Only then will it work with my new code.

Is this normal or am I doing it wrong? Unfortunately, all the guides and videos do a single run of a build so I’m not sure how multiple runs are supposed to work.

I have the same issue and my phone does no longer connect to the Rapid IoT.

I have decided to use Atmosphere studio instead of NXP studio. The reason is they both have the same basic functionality and Atmosphere gives you more cloud options.

Yes my testing procedure requires these steps:

1. Using Atmosphere app and Atmosphere studio.
  2. Build firmware with Atmosphere studio.
  3. Put Rapid IOT in bootloader mode by holding top left and bottom right buttons until green flashing led.
  4. Click program firmware and save directly to Rapid IOT device (shows up as mass storage).
  5. In Atmosphere app, you have to remove the device from my devices each time (real pain).
  6. Then you have to provision the new device.
  7. Test code, make changes and repeat starting at step 2.

Thank you @ mikeh9 for confirming the build cycle! I am so glad to hear that it’s not just me going through the delete/add device steps every time I want to tun a new firmware image.

I really think the NXP/Atmosphere guides should mention this as it is non intuitive. Also, the limit on number of devices seems arbitrarily small and extremely limiting when you have multiple devices/firmwares you are testing.

I did learn something new which is that I can save the .bin firmware directly to the Rapid IoT device (I’ve been saving it to laptop then dragging to the mass storage drive)

Thanks again!

@all - when you reprogram a device, the registration data the cloud uses to identify that device is lost, so yes, the expected behavior when you reprogram a device is that it needs to be re-provisioned. The exception to that rule is if you just update the mobile app - you can still connect to the existing device. The limits for our Free Developer accounts are set at 5 devices. Professional accounts will be available soon that will up the limit to 25.

@all I have found that you must remove the device from the app before reflashing the Rapid Iot.
Otherwise it would no longer connect except after a number of reboots of both phone and Rapid IoT.

I think the terminology of calling them devices is misleading. It’s clearly the same device.

@svenrichard How to register and identify a device in the cloud was a design choice. It could have been designed so that a one-time provisioning process per device would be sufficient.

the expected behavior…

…is subjective :slight_smile: