Raspberry Pi 4B Intro Project

Attached is the project used in the Intro to RPi 4B video. It pushes the sensor readings to the cloud and then uses a cloud based condition (alarm level) to set the Device Status based on the temperature.
Intro to RPi4 CPU Temp.atmo (91.3 KB)

Hello,

Pardon the newbie question. Do we need to use Raspbian or will ubuntu-standard work for this demo? Just want to double check because I have the latter handy but will need to scrounge around for a microSD to use the former.

Also, while I have your attention; I am already monitoring the CPU temperature of all models of RPi in my farm using a Nagios Remote Plug-in Execute (NRPE) module. What is a simple way to send this telemetry to the Dashboard? Would prefer a bash example, please.

Kind regards.

Hi,

We tested with Raspbian internally.

The simplest way to send that data to the Atmosphere dashboard is using the demo provided.

Hello,

What would it take to have the equivalent of the Raspbian solution migrated to Ubuntu (for RPi4)? I would definitely like to volunteer with elbow grease if necessary to assist in any practical way I can for the effort. Thanks.

Kind regards.

I’m not entirely sure how much effort it would be, most of the difference would be that we use pre-compiled static libraries for WolfSSL and a Pi GPIO library. I think we would likely have to re-compile those on ubuntu, and maybe use a slightly newer version of GCC depending on what Ubuntu ships with. There’s also a chance that it would work just fine, although I think it’s unlikely. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

You could also export the embedded source and compile it yourself on the Pi. You might have to make some tweaks in the CMakeLists.txt file, since it’s written more for cross-compilation.

Thanks for information especially for opening my eyes to the Wolf suite - very nice support too. In short, it is perfectly doable and I’ll look into it shortly.

Kind regards.

Hey,

So I just did some playing around on my end. I was able to get it to work perfectly fine as-is using Ubuntu 19.10. However, you must use the 32-bit version. I guess Raspbian is 32-bit, and so is the cross compiler we use.

Here’s the exact image I’m using: https://ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi/thank-you?version=19.10.1&architecture=armhf+raspi3

I didn’t test everything, but I made sure that I could get data to the cloud and I verified that I2C works using an HTU21D Temperature Sensor.

Long story short, works out of the box!

-Nick